Re: smarter makes

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:06:20 -0500
    Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote
    using Mutt 1.0i
  in <20000104170620.A2933@monk.mps.ohio-state.edu>:

>On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 03:02:58PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>> >Wrong.  A lot of systems will not have sh, but may have something like
>> >pdksh etc.
>>
>> It's hardly my fault of you aren't POSIX conformant.

>You forgot: the target of Configure is to configure.

You forgot my original point: the appeal of a simple and unadorned
call to `make' that automatically ran Configure as need be.

Again, I'm much more interested in the dlopen() issue that this
whole subthread was just a side-comment.  That's because as is,
Perl will not install because of the dlopen() bug.  This is
about a megascad more important than enhancements of convenience.

--tom

Follow-Ups from:
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>
Marc Lehmann <marc@gimp.org>