Re: CPAN is getting too big

At 13:13 05/01/00 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
>As you may have noticed, the amount of information on CPAN now exceeds
>the 650Mb that fits on a CD-ROM. Since people (like publishers)

I'm mean't to be burning some CDs for the local Perl Mongers group tonight[1],
so i've just had to face this problem.

>occasionally make CPAN snapshots on CD, we need a way to either split
>or ignore some of the contents.

To give you some numbers,

in total its 793Mb, the biggest 5 directories are,

authors 585Mb
  ports  85Mb
    src  53Mb
    doc  27Mb
modules  24Mb

i've decided to skip ports, src and doc (the first two where obvious
choices, the last was unfortunate). this removes a total of 162Mb
leaving me with 631Mb to squeeze on the CD. Maybe the idea of
seperating CPAN virtually into two divisions,

a.) perl source, docs and ports
b.) perl scripts and modules

may be the way to go in future.

Greg

[1] as for burning the CDs , i'm already rsyncing to my hard disk to
make my colleagues and my own life a bit easier, so this is just the
next step in my criminal endeavours of making CPAN more available.

--
 "Computer, if you don't open that exit hatch pretty damn pronto, I shall go
 straight to your major data banks with a very large axe and give you a

References to:
Johan Vromans <jvromans@squirrel.nl>