Re: Finding old library directories (was Re: automatic perl module rpm wrapper)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 23:26:19 GMT, Tom Hughes wrote:
>In message <200001082022.MAA14653@activestate.com>
>          Gurusamy Sarathy <gsar@ActiveState.com> wrote:
>> 2. If the answer for #1 is 'y', Configure should look for directories like
>> m{(\Q$installprefix\E/lib(/perl5)?/site_perl/(5.\d{3,5}|\d+\.\d+\.\d+))/auto/}
>> on the filesystem, and add $1 and $1/archname to the default list
>> of directories, if they exist.  (The site library layout actually changed
>> in some versions of perl, so additional patterns may need to be looked for.
>> Andy knows that history best.)
>
>The problem with that is that if I have 5.6.1 and 5.6.3 installed
>in $installsitelib then that is all that gets into the list and
>when someone then does a use lib or -I for a directory with 5.6.2
>stuff in it won't be found.

That should be fixed at the 'use lib' level (since it seems fixable
at that level.)

>Hence the point of wanting a list containing all possible versions
>rather than all versions which the user might happen to have had
>installed in a particular library directory at build time.

I realize people who make binary distributions for wider consumption
will have to manually cook up the list of compatibility directories,
but they can be expected to do that.  After all, they know best what
prior versions they released to the general public.

I don't think it is such a good idea to add *all* prior versions to the
list by default.  I suspect the common case is the one covered by the
approach above.  Plus, it is general enough to cover the other
possibilities if the need arises.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com

References to: