Re: [ID 20000111.009] Better English

On Jan 11, Rob McMillin said:

> This is a bug report for perl from rlm@doubledogmusic.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.26 running under perl 5.00503.
>
> There's a great deal of complaining in the English module that you can't
> use it unless you can live with a really bad performance hit in all your
> regexps. How about an "English::Good" module? This would basically be
> the same thing as the English module, but it wouldn't include the names
> MATCH, PREMATCH, and POSTMATCH. English could then import (and
> re-export) everything from English::Good as its own if you absolutely,
> positively had to have all the above.

The $`, $&, and $' variables have been optimized in a recent version of
Perl, but anyway, I've written a module not unlike your request.

It basically breaks the variables down into the sections they are put in,
in the module itself.  Syntax would be:

  use English::Good ':all';  # I'd like The::New::English, but hey...

  use English::Good ':arg', ':error', ':matching';

... and so on.

The module will be available at my web site at some point soon, I guess.

--

  MIDN 4/C PINYAN, USNR, NROTCURPI     http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
  jeff pinyan: japhy@pobox.com     perl stuff: japhy+perl@pobox.com

Follow-Ups from: