Re: [ID 19991229.003] perl 5.005_03 core dumps -- singal

Ilya Zakharevich writes:
: On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:11:11PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
: > : Their lazyness is nothing of our concern.
: >
: > You mean, their laziness is nothing of *your* concern.  It is certainly
: > my concern.  That's just one of the things a language designer has to
: > take into account.
:
: Hmm, is it the reason why now *by default* h2xs produces almost
: unusable code?  [Well, *now* it does not produce anything, I meant the
: state things may boil down to.]  ;-)

Getting people to write better code is another one of those things that
a language designer has to take into account.  A program generator that
is run once like h2xs doesn't have to meet the same standards of
backward compatibility as does the language itself.  We can reasonably
assume the user is running the version of Perl that h2xs is running,
and doesn't intend to downgrade to a previous version.  And if they
want to write something backward compatible and put it on CPAN, then
they should be testing against older versions of Perl, so the older
h2xs is presumably available.  Or we can provide a --use_vars switch.

Larry

Follow-Ups from:
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>
References to: