RE: [ID 20000111.009] Better English

From: Jeff Pinyan [mailto:jeffp@crusoe.net]

> The $`, $&, and $' variables have been optimized in a recent
> version of Perl, but anyway, I've written a module not unlike
> your request.
>
> It basically breaks the variables down into the sections they
> are put in, in the module itself.  Syntax would be:

Isn't the problem that if Perl even SEES $` and co, it pessimises instantly?
Hence, if your module declares names for these variables, even if they
aren't exported or processed, the user gets the hit.

You need to segregate $`, $& and $' to a separate file, which you only
require if the user requests these variables.

Paul.

Follow-Ups from:
Hugo <hv@crypt.compulink.co.uk>