Re: [ID 20000111.008] use strict 'vars'

Tom Christiansen wrote:

> Sigh.  Do I really have to answer all this?  It is completely
> unconscionable to break existing code by outlawing $a and $b.
> It in unfathomable that this should have been requested.

Don't break anything, but possibly produce incorrect warnings. If new
warnings are regarded as breakage, we're screwed. I know use strict
'vars' currently produces errors, not warnings, but it's not a big leap
to convert those to warnings for $a and $b only. Perhaps you wanted me
to mention that detail.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the oft-repeated bug report is
"use strict doesn't work for $a and $b." If use strict said clearly "$a
is a special case, so this warning might be in error", you won't see the
bug report any more. Especially not if it's rarely in error, which is
not impossible.

Or not, if you're no longer reading my sentences that aren't too many
negatives piled on top of each other.

References to:
Tom Christiansen <tchrist@chthon.perl.com>