Re: exists $foo[7] and delete $foo[7]

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 09:23:59AM -0800, gsar@activestate.com wrote:
> Let me know if you want the remove the support for defined() and
> exists() on arrays after reading my explanation.  I'm taking a head
> count on opinions.

The additions look OK to my eyes, except that I wonder what happened
to the idea of a short-circuiting exists?  Does exists necessarly
need to auto-vivify all the intermediate steps?  For example:

  $hash = {};
  warn exists $hash->{foo}{bar};  # false
  warn exists $hash->{foo};       # true or false?

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."
                            via, but not speaking for Deutsche Bank

References to:
Mark-Jason Dominus <mjd@plover.com>
Gurusamy Sarathy <gsar@activestate.com>