Re: exists $foo[7] and delete $foo[7]

Thus it was written in the epistle of Tom Christiansen,
> >>Could you please distinguish
> >>this from "undefined"?
>
> >You can assign an undefined _value_ to something.  But there's no concept
> >of assigning an uninitialized _value_, because it is an attribute (or
> >state of being).
>
> >IOW, "uninitialized" is a stronger particular condition than "undefined".
>
> >>Can only the scalar elements in an array
> >>be uninitialized?
>
> This is disconcerting.  In Perl lingo, we have always used the terms
> "undefined" and "uninitialized" interchangeably when it came to
> scalar values.

I'd like to second that.  Furthermore, this definition of delete violates
least surprise (or is that of import any more?).  I would expect

  delete($array[2])

to be equivalent to

  splice(@array,2,1)

(and, frankly, more natural to read).

Ted
--
Ted Ashton (ashted@southern.edu), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this

References to:
Tom Christiansen <tchrist@chthon.perl.com>