Re: exists $foo[7] and delete $foo[7]

Hi,

Tom Christiansen:
> Now, could someone please tell me what to fill in for XXXXX?

Nothing. There's nothing there, not even an undef() or an empty string.
That's why the array gets shorter if you delete its last value.

It's the same thing that's in $foo{bar} if @foo is (one=>1,two=>2,three=>3).

Beginners might find it suspicious that delete($a[2]) doesn't drop $a[3]
into the [2] slot instead, admittedly. The analogy I'd use is that arrays
are horizontal, and thus gravity won't pull them down.  ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/

References to: