Re: $^S and eval

>Tom Christiansen writes:
>>     This strange action at a distance may be fixed in a future release
>>     so that C<$SIG{__DIE__}> is only called if your program is about
>>     to exit, as was the original intent.
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>AFAIU, this is a lie.

I call upon you to contritely retract, recant, and rescind your
provocative and unsubstantiated insult.  Shame on you and your
tactics of willfully disregarding reality, even when this has been
succinctly and clearly presented to you on a silver platter.  Had
you but condescended to read a few lines further down in that same
message, you would have realized immediately that it was Larry
himself who wrote: "The original intent of __DIE__ was only to allow
you to substitute one kind of death for another on an application-wide
basis without respect to whether you were in an eval or not."  I
really do not appreciate being called a liar when I am merely citing
the author's own words regarding original intent.  Whether you like
it or not, this bug is scheduled for impolite squishing; its days
are numbered.  Though it's crept along for some time in the
documentation, it has also borne the admonition of the handwriting
on the wall: it has been measured and found lacking.  One fix was
already offered, and it can now remain no more than a matter of
time before we stop merely documenting these wickedries as the bugs
they are and instead at long last fix them.  Certainly there's no
valid, constructive reason to continue to compound the folly by
doing anything but soundly discouraging anyone from making use of
something that's inherently perilous, has been misimplemented, and
whose inevitable demise draws inexorably nearer each passing day.

--tom