Re: No version in AutoLoader?

On 03 Jan 2000 18:37:37 +0100, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
>As soon as CHIPS uploads perl5.004_05, a process should automatically
>produce
>
>  [...]
>  CPAN/authors/id/perl/Safe-2.06.tar.gz
>  CPAN/authors/id/perl/Text-ParseWords-3.1001.tar.gz
>  CPAN/authors/id/perl/VMS-DCLsym-1.01.tar.gz
>  [...]
>
>Done right, this will lead to an index on CPAN that doesn't mention
>CHIPS/perl5.004_05.tar.gz at all, and instead of what you cite,
>CPAN::Shell->r will output
>
>  Package namespace         installed    latest  in CPAN file
>  AutoLoader                    undef      5.56  perl/AutoLoader-5.56.tar.gz
>
>and the user will be able to say
>
>  install AutoLoader
>
>and get what he expects.

This appears to be a rather large can of worms to me.  Modules in the perl
distribution sometimes develop dependencies and/or version specific behaviors
and may not work in even slightly older versions.  How is this to be tracked
and flagged?

Thus we had better start with perl/5.00556/AutoLoader-5.56.tar.gz etc.,
but I don't see a clean way around the other problems.

IMHO, doing this right involves CPAN.pm getting some fresh ideas
about dependencies, and CPAN having a dependencies-index that will help
automatically track what needs what else.  If we can get to this point,
it would be possible to invoke special actions when CPAN.pm hits a node
pointing to the perl distribution in the dependency graph.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com

Follow-Ups from:
andreas.koenig@anima.de (Andreas J. Koenig)