Re: [ID: 19991228.001] Perl Did not Install Successfully

Eti Inc \ <sobrika@erols.com> writes:
>Nick:
>
>Thank-you for your response.  Here are the outputs of some version commands.

Thanks.

>/users/Robert/downloads/Tk800.015 19 > gcc -v
>Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.2/specs
>gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

Well at least that gcc is compiled for Solaris7.

>/users/Robert/downloads/Tk800.015 20 > perl -V
>Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
>  Platform:
>    osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=sun4-solaris
>    uname='sunos 5.7 generic_patch sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-1 '
>    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
>    usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
>  Compiler:
>    cc='gcc', optimize='-O', gccversion=2.8.1

That perl was compiled with gcc-2.8.1 - which is a nice "mature" gcc
I think it is what I use myself at work on the Solaris machines.
(The Sun I have here at home has egcs-1.1.2 version of gcc, as does this
linux machine.)

>As you can see, the binary Perl distribution that is still installed on my
>system was compiled in gcc.  Also, it works and I'd hate to replace it.

Given that you new gcc is playing up I would not replace it either.

>So,
>my primary goal is just to get Perl/Tk to work with it.  Do you think that
>compiling Tk with another compiler would work if compiling it with gcc does
>not?

I am (fairly) sure that combining gcc-2.8.1 and SunPro cc will work fine.
I am sure that an all SunPro built perl/Tk works, and that an all gcc-2.8.1
perl/Tk works.

If it was my system I would find gcc-2.8.1 and install that - I would
install from source but there are probably binaries somewhere.

I will try building gcc-2.95.2 and perl when I get to work tomorrow
(other issues permitting). (Work policy prohibits downloading binaries
though - so I can't just grab same gcc you did.)

--
Nick Ing-Simmons

References to:
"ETI INC \(sobrika\)" <sobrika@erols.com>