dlopen refocus

Have any of you ever seen this issue with dlopen acting weirdly when
its argument =~ /^lib/, as I believe is occurring and which is stopping
me from doing a make install?  Shall we fix it by using a full path, or
instead by not calling it "lib"?  Or is my off-the-cuff analysis flawed?
How come it only gets me?  Do you think it's an OpenBSD only issue rather
than all GNU binutils system?  It doesn't happen on Redhat/Linux, and I
don't know why not, since I'd've imagined the codebase to be equivalent.
I can try building for the Sparc running OpenBSD and see whether it
persists.  The previous error was on an Intel.

thank you

--tom

Follow-Ups from:
Gurusamy Sarathy <gsar@ActiveState.com>