v5.5.640 plans

FYI, I've dealt with most of the patches that came in over the last few
weeks.

I'm hotly pursuing the utf8 trail right now, and expect to have v5.5.640
out some time this weekend.

Meanwhile, the following todo items are still sorely in need of volunteers:

  * fixes for thread-safe regex engine (all data kept in the compiled
    REGEXP/PMOP structures needs to be moved to the pad)

  * Configure support for USE_ITHREADS (basically just adding -Duseithreads
    and enabling all the probing for pthreads functionality that's already
    there for -Dusethreads)

  * support for the new versioned library layout (see archives for summary
    from Andy, and discussion on things to do)

  * round out Compiler support additions (save END blocks; write a small
    testsuite and driver for it; investigate bugs reported so far)

  * "use Thread;" under USE_ITHREADS (extend perl_clone() with ability to
    to share parts of the symbol table marked "shared"; work out how
    automatic locking will work; diagnostics about things that need to be
    locked but aren't may suffice as an alternative)

  * "our $foo;" and "our $foo : shared;" fixups (see above)

  * Map::XXX for character encoding conversions (Gisle and others have
    done a module that's on CPAN; figure out how to merge them; make it
    core-worthy if needs be)

  * multi-arg readpipe()

  * opcode overrides and safe signals

  * system LIST fixups on Windows (C<system 'perl','-e', 'print "bar"'>
    etc., should be made portable by intelligently quoting the arguments
    to get past the silly Windows commandline API)

  * lexical warnings todo items in perllexwarn.pod

  * round out documentation
     - perldelta upkeep (see TODO markers)
     - ensure new stuff in perldelta is documented elsewhere
     - rework API listing to reflect the current canonical form

If you have tuits to spare, please consider working on these.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com

Follow-Ups from:
Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu>