Re: [ID 19991229.003] perl 5.005_03 core dumps -- singal

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 10:31:36AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> Existing XS code is a problem regardless.  Inventing a new minilanguage
> does not solve this.

Of course immediate atomic delivery solves this, as well as removes
the complexity of intentional slowing-down of tight loops.

> First, we can do the deliver-immediately-on-duplicate-signal trick.
> That could be generalized to deliver immediately on any second signal if
> sufficient time has passed, provided time() is a safe system call.

If this delivery is unsafe, then this is just putting things under the carpet.

> As far as I'm concerned, the main remaining issue is how to direct
> signals to a particular thread.

Let me repeat one of the reference points: close to impossible under OS/2.

Ilya

Follow-Ups from:
Larry Wall <larry@wall.org>
Tom Christiansen <tchrist@jhereg.perl.com>