Re: [ID 19991229.003] perl 5.005_03 core dumps -- singal

At 11:37 AM 1/11/00 -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>:As far as I'm concerned, the main remaining issue is how to direct
>:signals to a particular thread.
>
>I never did manage to get signal delivery working under
>Linux, which used pids for threads.

Signals and threads are going to be a persistent problem. It's anyone's
guess which thread gets an async signal, and even the sync signals that
ought to go to the thread that generated them often don't. (The POSIX
standard says they don't have to, IIRC)

Then Linux adds more fun to the mix, as it's only mostly POSIX-compliant,
and signals that ought to go to any thread instead only go to the thread
that triggered the signal in the first place. Very annoying if you're using
a single signal-handling thread. (Of course, if you stop assuming
LinuxThreads are POSIX compliant it's a lot easier, since the POSIX
assumptions don't get in the way. Pity they used the POSIX routine names,
which is just darned confusing)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk

References to: