Re: [ID 19991229.003] perl 5.005_03 core dumps -- singal

At 04:19 PM 1/11/00 -0500, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
>This is indeed a questionable behaviour.  What are other things people
>want to do in a sighandler?
>
>   a) set a variable;
>   b) increment a variable;
>   c) exit();
>   d) wait() and assign the result;
>   e) wait() and append the result to an array/hash;
>   f) die with a message;

g) Queue up another I/O request
h) Update a Tk display
i) Send a syslog message
j) Close one file on a filehandle and open another

You're letting the crippled signal implementation limit you.

> > : Let me repeat one of the reference points: close to impossible under
> OS/2.
> >
> > Let me point out that we don't have to deliver C level signals to
> > another thread.  We only have to deliver Perl level signals.
>
>Not a tiny bit easier: you still need to unblock the thread.

So? Unless the thread is waiting on a blocking system call it's not a big
deal. The thread's cond_waiting and you signal it.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk

Follow-Ups from:
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>