Re: [ID 19991229.003] perl 5.005_03 core dumps -- singal

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 03:26:48PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> >> Ilya> deparses
> >> Ilya>       sub { ++$count; return }
> >> Ilya> to [ inc => \$count ].  Make assignment to $SIG autoload this module.
> >> Ilya> If deparse fails, enable the delayed semantic.
> >>
> >> This still falls under the imprecation against `needless complexity'.
>
> >"This" is what?  Needless for what?
>
> Needless for making easy things easy.  Contributatory toward
> introducing labyrinthine complexities that are the very thing
> that have driven so many people away from languages like C.
> Let's not slap them in the face with the same crap.

We are discussing signals.  If you have something to say about this
topic, feel free to do so.  [I have no slightest idea what you are
trying to say here.  Signal handlers in C are infinitely simpler than
in Perl: people can write them.]

> >> Upon packing his bags in preparation for a journey, the savvy traveller
> >> discards fully fifty percent of his stowed possessions, for he realizes
> >> that needless clutter and gratuitous baggage but weigh him down and
> >> distract him from his goal.  It is only after many years of repeated
> >> mistakes that the truly seasoned traveller can a priori recognize
> >> unjustifiable bloat for its hidden promise of inevitable annoyance.
>
> >Hmm, is not it prose?  Did anybody find any technical contents in this?
>
> Are you really so completely impervious to the allusions of metaphor and
> allegory that one must always present to you relentlessly sterile bits and
> bytes full of machine language of tediously symbolic progamming calculus
> with which to feed into your presumed wetware?

There was some time in my life (aeons ago) when I could have share
your surprise.  Fortunately, one of my friends (who happened to be
a head of a section of Hermitage) asked me to look through my thesis.
"It is prose" (sp?), was his verdict.

This episode helped my presumed wetware a lot.  You can put Hanukka
bush ornaments on anything.  Most of the time the only reason Moliere
syndrom appears is to hide the fact that the message is content-free.
Even if not, things may improve by removing ornaments.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Follow-Ups from:
Chip Salzenberg <chip@valinux.com>