extracting last part of cwd

I apologize for the "newbie" nature of this question, but
dejanews has been down for 2 days so I can't post to the
newsgroup or search for answers.

I'm need to extract only the last element of the current working
directory and store it in a variable but can't figure out how.

For example, if my cwd is /home/lewst/News I need to extract only
"News" and store this in a variable.

I figured out how to store the entire cwd in a variable with:

  use Cwd;
  $mycwd = cwd;

Now how do I change this to hold only the last part of the cwd?

Much appreciated.

(Please CC: me on followups)