Re: Perl bug DB web interface

Richard,

Glad to hear about your rewrite.  We are looking for a bug tracking system
and the interface appears to have most of the features we're interested
in.

One big thing it's missing appears to be the ability to search the body of
the message.  I've had  some experience with bug tracking across large
projects and the subject field is just too small you get a lot of false
negatives.  I'd suggest introducing a synopsis field that was also
serachable.

Kenneth
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 richard_and_joy@rfi.net wrote:

> To: kenneth_kron@icgcomm.com (Kenneth Kron)
> Cc: perl5-porters@perl.org
> Subject: Re: Perl bug DB web interface
> From: richard_and_joy@rfi.net (Richard and Joy Foley)
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:19:43 +0100
>
> Kenneth,
>
> > Just wondering what the status of the bug DB pages are.  When I looked
>
> > 1) The only OS's supported are Win32 and Mac (or is that a feature)
> It's a feature :-)
> Actually, the non-win-or-mac OS is actually 'generic', or 'unix'.
> Personally, I think a 'Unix', and/or 'generic' flag would be useful, but
> as I recall this was poo-pooed as being unecessary, the implication
> being search for win/mac if you need to, otherwise everything is
> applicable across the board.  What does everyone else think?
>
> > 2) The Perl Inst logo is a broken link
> Whoops, thanks, will fix.
>
> > 3)  I'm trying to file a bug against the perl parser but there doesn't
> > appear to be a way to search to see if it already exists (via the web
> > anyway).
> I'm not sure what you mean.  You can search via the web front end on the
> subject field, or you can search via the email interface, with straight
> SQL statements. as per below:
>
>     To: bugdb@perl.bug
>     Subject: -h -s
>     Body: SELECT DISTINCT ticketid FROM tm_messages WHERE messagebody
> LIKE '%parser%'
>
> > Am I expecting too much or
> I don't think so, if it's not just how everyone wants it, then it needs
> adjusting until most people are comfortable with it, I think.
>
> > did I just catch the db at a bad time.
> Well, I'm about 80% through a rewrite, which should make the whole thing
> installable (not in the original spec.), and add administrator lists,
> etc. etc. not to mention all the little tweaks that will be required
> once people hear it's fluid, sigh...!
>
> > Thanks for the efforts anwyas.
> It's always good to get a little feedback.
>
> Ciao
> --
> Richard Foley
> richard@rfi.net