Re: [ID 20000111.008] use strict 'vars'

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 02:49:55PM -0500, "london@pixelmagic.com" wrote:
> Tom Christiansen wrote:
> > it is arrogant to make these high-and-mighty decisions
> > about how people "should" be programming just so that they'll
> > conform to *your* puritanical maxims.
> > THOU SHALT NOT SCREW WITH EXISTING CODE.
> but if the weight of backward compatibility is infinite,
> as you imply with your written-in-stone commandment,
> then the scales will always be tipped in the favor or
> never changing anything that's been added to perl,
> regardless of how much it might have turned into a
> piece of shit.
> Greg

I think Tom would be perfectly happy with 5.004 living forever. :-)

mark

P.S. For a few projects, I am currently _ON PURPOSE_ using perl5.004. I
     think a few other people are doing the same... It's not that I don't
     like the changes that are being made to perl, as I believe I do, it's
     more the instablity that scares the shit out of me.

--
markm@nortelnetworks.com/mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/