Re: exists $foo[7] and delete $foo[7]

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:07:38 +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > Currently my choices are these:
> >
> >   1. remove exists/delete support for arrays, keep them for pseudo-hashes
> >      (pseudo-hashes will still remain experimental)
> >   2. remove exists/delete support for arrays, and remove/deprecate
> >      pseudo-hashes altogether
>
>I'm in brisk mood.  2.  I'm so disgusted by the current pseudohash API
>that I don't think it should live.  I'm sorry if people have already
>written books about it (hi, Damian :-) -- and I'm sorry that I somehow
>missed the discussion in the past that lead into pseudohashes becoming
>implemented.

I don't recall there being much discussion, no. :-(

> >  3. don't change anything over what was in 5.005_63

Just to clarify the 5.005_63 behavior, for people who may want to vote #3,
perl 5.005_63 has these "features"/warts:

  * delete does not work on pseudo-hashes
  * exists still tests "uninitialized" state of underlying array element
  * there is no way to get exists() to return false on a pseudo-hash
    element if it is assigned to at least once

> >  4. something else I haven't thought of

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com

Follow-Ups from: