smarter makes

This reminds me of an old question, one which I'm sure I've
been told the answer to many times, and doubtless keep forgetting.
If you answer it again, I promise not to forget your answer until
the next time I forget. :-)

Here it is: Why do we have to remember to run Configure?

Why can't the initial, default makefile notice that this hasn't been
done yet and just call it for us?

Likewise with building modules: why should I have to remember the "perl
Makefile.PL" step, when an initial default makefile would know to do
that for me?

I've gotten quite spoiled on the elegance and simplicity of the BSD
ports system, where no matter how much unpleasantry is needed underneath,
just typing `make' always works.

--tom

References to:
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>