Re: CPAN is getting too big

Johan Vromans [JVromans@squirrel.nl] quoth:
*>[Quoting Tim Bunce, on January 5 2000, 12:34, in "Re: CPAN is getting "]
*>> Making a CD from CPAN is technically illegal since it breaks the
*>> copyright of some of the modules unless permission has been sought
*>> from the authors.
*>
*>My fault, I asked for opions...

:)

*>I do not want to restart this stupid discussion. Anything on CPAN is
*>publicly available and should be copyable and redistributable in the
*>form it resides on CPAN. Period.

I do believe some authors request permission in the documentation. However
they might wish to police that is up to them.

Jarkko is still away on holiday, but the idea was tossed around a while
back of offering ISO images of CPAN for people who wanted to burn their
own copies....so I would assume that if the person who runs CPAN is
willing to consider it that the details can be worked out amicably.
I don't believe that walnut creek contacted every module author before
burning a copy of CPAN and I'm sure they checked the legality of doing so.

Also, trimming CPAN may be an ordeal just because of legacy stuff, but
asking authors to trim their directories as well as possibly cutting back
on the number of archived distributions, etc. might help in this regard.
It will be a painful process I suspect, but certainly someone will have to
don the asbestos suit and push the point and keep pushing it...this is a
tough crowd.

e.

Follow-Ups from:
Sam Tregar <sam@tregar.com>