Re: Finding old library directories (was Re: automatic perl modulerpm wrapper)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> I was suggesting hunting $ENV{PATH} for "current" perl(s)

No, I don't think so.  If I have "current" perl in /opt/perl5.005/ and I'm
installing the "new" perl in /opt/perl5.6.0 in order to keep separate
versions separate, then I don't think the default installation of
perl5.6.0 ought to go hunting in /opt/perl5.005 for its sitelib
directories.  This isn't keeping separate things separate.

Similarly, if I have 5.7.0 installed (and it is my "current" perl) and am
now installing a hypothetical maintenance update of 5.6.1 for use by
production scripts that rely on some 5.6.x behavior, then I don't think
that the default installation of 5.6.1 ought to go looking in the 5.7.0
directories.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to go out of our way to make it too
hard for the user to override the defaults and blend these separate
installations, but I wouldn't want that to be the default.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042

Follow-Ups from: