Re: inherted overload & mixed type operations

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 04:18:17AM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> > I stand corrected. However, I still cannot augment functionality, since I
> > have no (documented) way to get the previous definitions,
>
> Will you please stop pointless accusations?
>
> perldoc overload
> /overload::Method

Problem is sorted out. I made a "subclass aware" overloaded method for
PDL.

I suppose Marc's original point (which he didn't make very clear) was
rather different. He suggested having logic in overload so that this
subclass awareness can be automatically switched on (or is there by
default) for the superclass with an appropriate switch to 'use
overload'. As it is now the baseclass has to make provisions for it
itself or requires the subclass to fiddle with its superclass'
overloading rather explicitly. From your previous answers, however, it
appears that you strongly object to such a suggestion?

More importantly, do you appreciate that Marc's examples of the calling
randomness expose some strangeness in the way overloading works? See
also his debugging output.

  Christian

Follow-Ups from:
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>