Re: inherted overload & mixed type operations

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 10:10:10AM +1300, Christian Soeller wrote:
> I suppose Marc's original point (which he didn't make very clear) was
> rather different.

This point was very clear, but I do not think multi-argument
polymorphism should do anything with the core.  It is too complicated,
too unintuitive, too error-prone etc to be included in general-purpose
logic.

My feeling is that this should be left to the module writers, who should
understand the application domain and appropriate logic better than
general-purpos engine.

I will be very glad if somebody can prove me wrong (by demostrating
dispatch logic appropriate for general consumption).

> He suggested having logic in overload so that this
> subclass awareness can be automatically switched on (or is there by
> default) for the superclass with an appropriate switch to 'use
> overload'. As it is now the baseclass has to make provisions for it
> itself or requires the subclass to fiddle with its superclass'
> overloading rather explicitly. From your previous answers, however, it
> appears that you strongly object to such a suggestion?
>
> More importantly, do you appreciate that Marc's examples of the calling
> randomness expose some strangeness in the way overloading works? See
> also his debugging output.

I did not see any debugging (-Do) output.  Please, either demostrate
it with pure-Perl classes, or produce suspicious -Do output (in
contrast to other -D?, this output is pretty small and readable).

Ilya

Follow-Ups from:
Marc Lehmann <marc@gimp.org>
References to: