Re: [ID 20000111.008] use strict 'vars'

>>>>> "Larry" == Larry Wall <larry@wall.org> writes:

Larry> You'll note that every version of Perl from version 1 through
Larry> version 4 was a development version, not a maintenance version.
Larry> Yet people were pretty happy with it, partly because we had a
Larry> policy of backward compatiblity, but mostly because we enforced
Larry> that policy with regression tests.

Larry> So people who are worried about Perl breaking should be writing more
Larry> regression tests.

Just weighing in:

1) Let's not break @a = $[ + $#a + 1, in any event, for any reason.

2) If exists() can detect some change in state in a pseudo-hash, then
   delete() better durn well be available to force such a change.
   So either fix exists(), or make delete() work.

3) There is nothing for item 3. :)

--

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
References to: