Re: [ID 20000111.008] use strict 'vars'

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:16:29PM -0800, "Larry Wall" wrote:
> Mark Mielke writes:
> : P.S. For a few projects, I am currently _ON PURPOSE_ using perl5.004. I
> :      think a few other people are doing the same... It's not that I don't
> :      like the changes that are being made to perl, as I believe I do, it's
> :      more the instablity that scares the shit out of me.
> You'll note that every version of Perl from version 1 through version 4
> was a development version, not a maintenance version.  Yet people were
> pretty happy with it, partly because we had a policy of backward
> compatiblity, but mostly because we enforced that policy with
> regression tests.

That's not what I saw when people were recommending perl5.005_53 over
perl5.005_03... :-)

Sorry... perl5.004 with the maintenance patches is perfect for the rock
solid stability I needed in a few of the projects...

For everything else I use the latest and greatest that I happen to have
found time to compile.

I didn't mean that to come across quite as negative as perhaps it did. I
was just partially defending the "perl is fine the way it is" bunch.

Personally, I think language evolution is necessary, else extinction
is the inevitable result.

mark

--
markm@nortelnetworks.com/mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca __________________________